Sunday, June 22, 2008

What Every Music Teacher Should Know

In my twenty years teaching, I've worked with students of all ages and skill levels....from small children taking their first steps in music to retirees looking to fulfill a lifelong ambition. I've taught every style of music from jazz to bluegrass to classical to hard rock, and I've come to believe very strongly that the most important skill a teacher needs is the ability to assess and adapt to the needs and learning style of the student.

In my opinion, many teachers approach music lessons like math class. Here's what to do, here's the "right" way to do it. But music is as varied as the people who make it, and many of the greatest and most influential artists of any style were outsize characters with unique personalities and approaches to their instrument.

While there are basic foundation principles I do believe every student should learn, the way we put those principles across might be different for everyone. And I've seen students who had been struggling with an idea or a particular musical gesture for months master it instantly when they try a new approach. In fact, I've experienced it myself as a student and as a working professional.

My greatest teachers were all highly creative and open-minded musicians, and they taught me that there is nearly always another way to achieve a given result. In my own teaching I strive to remember and apply this principle above all, and I hope my students reap the benefits and thrive as I did.

1 comment:

stuschulz said...

My children both love music and have taken music lessons for several years from different teachers. Your observations are right on the mark. The best music teachers are the ones that can find the best method and approach to developing their students. I have seen how you work with my children and how you have been able to discover their learning styles. My daughter actually wanted to give up on piano after lessons in a very method driven environment. After working with you, she is in love with the piano again. She actually took her keyboard on vacation!

Great blog. Keep up the good work and thanks for helping my children learn a skill/craft they will have for a lifetime.